Friday, February 10, 2012

Independent Component 1 (extra)

Click here to view my logged hours.
Here are Mr. Miller's signature for those hours:



Evidence:
 - notes
 - screenplay






Literal:


I, Inez Franco, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 43.8 hours of work. 16.5 hours working on my own screenplay, 14.5 learning how to write one, and 12.8 hours reading them.
I have read Shakespeare in Love, Annie Hall, Manhattan, A Knight's Tale, and It's a Wonderful Life. I have also read Screenwriting for Teens, written by a screenplay consultant. And have written my own screenplay for a 15 page short.


Interpretive:

I didn't JUST read those screenplays - I analyzed them, broke them down, took notes, and learned from them. That is why it took my more than 2 hours to complete any given screenplay. When I calculated that I did 43 hours I honestly felt like that was such an understatement. 48 hours isn't even two full days. I feel like I have been studying this Independent Component for a month now. The Book I read on how to write a screenplay was perfect because it was written in terms of how a teenager would understand it. There were 100 concepts of basic skills in that book and I noted every single one of them! Reading Screenwriting for Teens really helped me build my story. You would think that making up stories was easy, kids do it all the time. But it is NOT EASY! I have a new found respect for all forms of storytelling. And lastly wrting my own script was super difficult. It was the hardest part of the whole deal. Everything I read before I started helped out tremendously though.

Applied:

This did not straight out answer my EQ, I feel like it presented 100 million more possible answers to me though... like: character, themes, style, strategic word choice, economic writing, element of surprise... just to name a few possible answers. I do feel more comfortable about speaking about my topic though. The biggest leasson I learned is that you can't read 5 screenplays and a book about how to write a screenplay and expect that you can do it. I need like 10,000 hours of practice. I am so far from good! But that doesn't discourage me, the difference between talent and mastery is 10,000 hours of practice. I have a long way to go.



1 comment:

  1. I can't send the script to your(Melogno) email because I wrote it using a weird software that doesn't convert into any types of word or text files... I'll just give you a hard copy.

    ReplyDelete